Sunday, October 27, 2013

Be Thou an Example

Today my husband and I were driving down the road in the city.  As we temporarily stopped at a red light, I did what I usually do...people watch.  There was a group of teens all dressed up walking together out of building towards the corner, probably on their way to get food to eat.  That's what we were doing.

Like I just said, they were all dressed up in business attire.  We think they might have been a school group doing a presentation or something like a debate contest thingy.  They all looked very nice and professional, so I can say I was SHOCKED when I witnessed the following 10 second scene.

One of the boys towards the back accidentally dropped a bunch of money out of his pocket.  It scattered all about his feet in little folded pieces.  Several of his friends/associates reached down to help him gather it all up.  However, one boy reached down, picked up a bill and put it in his own pocket.  He didn't even look think twice and no one noticed.

WHAAAAAT????????????  NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DID THAT SERIOUSLY JUST HAPPEN????????

I couldn't believe my eyes!  Did I really see that?  I said "Randy, did you just see that?"  To which he replied, "Yes. Yes, I did."

I'm not joking when I say I was shocked.  I seriously did not believe it and thought I just imagined the kid pick something up off the ground and put it in his pocket.  I wanted to roll down my window and yell "HEY, YOU, THIEF" or "CHECK HIS POCKETS!" or something to that effect.  Instead the light turned green and I just made a lot of "whaaa?" "wow" and "whoa" sounds within the walls of the vehicle.

We watched the kid who dropped his money look around and count it up and look around again like it didn't quite add up right.  Ever misplace or lose money or have someone steal it before? I find it scary and I feel like I'm losing my mind.  "It was right here one second ago!" kind of thing.  Sad day, even if it was only a dollar.  Even more sad is the other guy--stealing and doing it so casually.  He was soo good at it.  I sadlly doubt it was a first time swipe.

Randy's next comment was "I would not hire that guy."  Agreed.  Too bad you don't always know who "that guy is."  I hope he grows up to be something better than that.  I've often heard the phrase "the real you is who you are when no one is looking" or something like that.  Amazing that you can think no one is looking, but you really have no idea who is looking and the effect it has on them.

This brought back memories from long ago.  I can't say for certain what happened, and I doubt anyone else involved remembers it, but I will never forget the impact it had on me.  Once my mom sent me to the store to get something very important.  I went with a friend.  One the way home we stopped to get a treat, even though I knew we should have gone straight home.  As it turns out, I dropped the leftover cash accidently and when I gathered it all up, it didn't add up to the amount it should have.  I never found all the money.  I suspected 'foul play,' but don't really know for certain.  What I learned was to take care of what others entrust to you, don't alter your plans when you know someone is counting on you, and be honest is every way you can.  At the time, my mom was very disappointed in me.  I honestly explained what had happened.  I know she forgave me, but it was lesson learned the hard way.

Today I saw an example I'll teach my kids not to follow.  Instead, I want them to always remember this instead: "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12.  I understand what "let no man despise thy youth" now.  If ever a scripture came alive for me, this one was it.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment