Saturday, October 26, 2013

Fanciful Witch Hat...



Here it is, the most fanciful witch hat you've ever seen!  I've always wanted to make one, and finally gathered all the supplies to make it happen. The hardest part was deciding what to put on the hat since I had looked at so many other beautiful designs. I could have gathered more and more items, but just finally had to start! It was such a fun project, even though I've almost sworn off shopping at Hobby Lobby in the process after having such a horrible experience there while gathering some of my supplies. Since when did they stop matching coupons? And since when did they stop honoring sale prices when the sale sign is right in front of the item? And since when did the store manager treat you so horribly when its clearly a big feat to make it all the way up to the store with a baby? Well, regardless of my unfortunate shopping event, and a few more dollars spent than I originally intended, I think this witch hat turned out pretty fantastic. So here's the steps I took so you can make one yourself!

First, gather your supplies. 

Witch Hat
I found one at the grocery store for just $4! It has black cheesecloth over the top so it's already a little decorated.

Ribbon:You'll need a few styles of ribbon, the more the better! I used some lime green tulle, a 3" black sheer with a ruffled edge, and a 2" black and white damask. I had some other colors, but didn't end up using them. 

Flower:
I used one large rose, but you could use a small premade silk floral bouquet and take it apart to have a variety of flowers. 

Details:
I picked up some cute glittery Halloween picks with bats and spiders at 1/2 off. I also found a small pumpkin to add, a large black quill feather. 

And you'll need your glue gun - it's like duck tape for the crafting world!



 I started with the tulle ribbon, since it was the most fluffy and would serve as a good base. The way I tie bows is pretty easy - I all it the fold and tie method. Basically you fold the ribbon back and forth to create as many loops as you want, keeping the center loosely held between your fingers. Then use another small piece of ribbon or tulle to tie around the center of all the loops. Voila! You have a bow. Use your glue gun to secure the tulle in place on your witch hat.


 Follow the same bow technique with your next ribbon of choice. You can see how the ribbon is just folded over to make multiple loops, leaving one "tail" on top, and one "tail" on the bottom. Tie the middle, then secure with glue right on top of your tulle. 



With my third ribbon, I wanted to make sure the loops were placed exactly where I wanted, which can sometimes be hard when its all tied together. I cut the ribbon for each part, the tails and the loops, separate so I could glue them on exactly where I wanted. I attached the tails right to the black ribbon so it would create a background affect. 


Before adding your loops, glue in your feather so it can be behind all the loops. 




Once you've finished your bow, you can start adding all the embellishments! I clipped the flower's stem off and glued it right in the center. If you're using multiple flowers, it would look beautiful to add them going up the top of the hat like a growing garden. 


I snipped the floral picks to create several shorter pieces, and glued them around the flower and ribbon. These bats turn so I could face them any way I wanted. Next, I added the bright pumpkin and cute glittery spider. It would be fund to have it dangling from the hat too! 


 Now you have a beautiful, fanciful witch hat to use as the perfect Halloween center piece, or to wear! 


1 comment:

  1. Everything looks great except the SPIDER!!!!!! not happening in my world. (your mother)

    ReplyDelete