Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Dollar Store Decorating...

I have the most beautiful wreath to hang on our front door at Christmas time: beautiful faux boughs of blue spruce, twigs woven in to give it depth, big pine cones, and pretty heather and lemon leaves throughout. And my husband hates it. He thinks its too big. I just keep telling him he hasn't learned the art of leaving the house without getting tangled in the wreath yet.


So when I had the opportunity this year to make my own wreath with real cedar, I jumped. I figured I'd have the wonderful smell of  real pine and make my husband happy. All the supplies to make the wreath were provided and it was free!! Someone had even gone around collecting extra pine cones to add. I just had to bring anything extra if I wanted to add it. Of course I was late to the wreath making so I had to finish the trimming when I got home. Its been so cold out that I flipped my wreath hanger around on my front door so I could do my decorating from the cozy confines of my living room.
 I made sure to hit my local Dollar Tree to get a few things. There were some great looking berries that I tucked in here and there for a little pop of color. I found this great ivory poinsettia flower with just the right amount of glitter. The best part is the clip it has so no glue gun needed on this project! Just clip it in where you want it. 

I already had a spool of some sparkly green ribbon in my stash. With a 4 yard piece, I used the same "folding" technique to make my bow that I used in making our witch hat. Check out those instructions here! Since my ribbon was 3" thick, I used a small piece of floral wire (also from Dollar Tree), to keep it all together. I kept the wire ends long and used it to attach it to the wreath. 

I had another ivory and gold ribbon that I wanted to use, but it only had gold foil on one side. Have you ever struggled with making a bow and getting the right side to stay "out." Here's the trick I use...
 I still fold my ribbon back and forth, but after each loop I twist the ribbon over in the center so the back side if facing up. This way, when you fold the ribbon back over for another loop the right side will be facing up. Just keep twisting the ribbon in the center each time you make a loop. Again, I used wire to secure it all together and secure it to my first bow on the wreath.

I clipped in my flower and for the finishing touch I hung a glittery gold dove from the top of the wreath with some floral ribbon. Done! All together, I only spent 5 bucks! And I think I got a great looking wreath that also smells wonderful.
 I asked my husband what he thought of our new wreath and if it passed the not-too-big test. He said it was nice, but I could still trim a couple branches. Well, guess you can't win 'em all.

No comments:

Post a Comment