Monday, November 11, 2013

Becoming Grateful Day 11: Read about others who are grateful


"It's not happy  people who are grateful, it's grateful people who are happy."

When we planned this series out, I thought this idea would be a snap and so easy to write about it.  Then I started thinking seriously about it and couldn't think of lists and lists of people I thought would instantly come to my mind.  I eventually realized that you don't have to know 'famous' grateful people to read about them.  Actually, I think some of the most grateful people that have existed were also very humble and led quiet regular lives--just like we do.

As I thought about it more and more, I realized there is a huge group of people that I believe would be amazing to read about and to see how their gratitude helped them in their lives--our ancestors.  Bet you didn't immediately think of them either.  But, I'm pretty sure  the stories of love, faith and gratitude we hear passed on in our families are some of the most profound stories we ever learn from.

I can't help but think of the Mormon Pioneers when I think of grateful people.  The hymn "Come, Come Ye Saints" expresses so much gratitude amidst so much struggle, adversity and loss.  Even if you know all the words to this hymn, re-read them or sing them and look for the gratitude expressed.  Almost every phrase shows thankfulness to God.

Come, come, ye saints, no toil nor labor fear;
But with joy wend your way.
Though hard to you this journey may appear,
Grace shall be as your day.
Tis better far for us to strive
Our useless cares from us to drive;
Do this, and joy your hearts will swell -
All is well! All is well!

Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
'Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward
If we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we'll have this tale to tell-
All is well! All is well!

We'll find the place which God for us prepared,
Far away, in the West,
Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid;
There the saints, will be blessed.
We'll make the air, with music ring,
Shout praises to our God and King;
Above the rest these words we'll tell -
All is well! All is well!

And should we die before our journey's through,
Happy day! All is well!
We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
With the just we shall dwell!
But if our lives are spared again
To see the Saints their rest obtain,
Oh, how we'll make this chorus swell-
All is well! All is well!

As I wrote this post, I pulled out two books that contain family histories.  One was written by our Grandma Ann and the other was written by our Grandpa Don.  My grandparents are amazing examples of faithful, loving and grateful people.  Here's a few quotes I want to share that shows their gratitude and inspires me.

"I witness that the more we learn about our Heavenly Father and his Son; the more we are able to become like them.  Thus our time is happier and more righteously spent in whatever we do and under all our conditions of growth, trials and even disappointments.  It takes time to learn that They love us and we need to always use all the opportunities we can to be obedient and helpful to others.  Thus we will learn of them and become like them....Today we are blessed with the Lord's prophets, in His church, to guide and teach us and I know if we listen to their counsel, are obedient and do the best we can to follow their teachings, we will enjoy success, happiness, and the opportunity for progression and to be with our Heavenly Father...It is a great joy and blessing to be part of a loving and caring family who are doing their best..."

"I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessings of home, family and friends.  I have received such blessings because of His tender mercies to  me...I have never been alone at any time...I love the creations of this world, the plan of salvation, and the Atonement of my Savior, Jesus Christ.  Such things are without price and should be sought after by every one...I know my Heavenly Father loves me and knows me by name.  I am forever in His debt for all that I have."

Here is a poem in my Grandma Ann's life story that I love because of it's simple message of gratitude.

Red Geraniums

Life did not bring me silken gowns
Nor jewels for my hairs,
Nor signs of gabled foreign towns
In distant countries fair
But I can glimpse, beyond my pale, a green and friend hill,
And red geraniums aflame upon my window sill.

The brambled cares of everyday,
The tiny humdrum things,
May bind my feet when they would stay,
But still my heart has wings,
While red geraniums are bloomed against my window glass,
And low above my green-sweet hill the
Gypsy wind-clouds pass,

And if my dreaming never comes true,
The brightest and the best,
But leave me lone my journey through,
I'll set my heart at rest,
and thank God for home-sweet things, a green and friendly hill,
and red geraniums aflame upon my window sill.

Martha Haskell Clark

I am extremely grateful for my grandparents and all my ancestors.  I'm thankful for their journals and memoirs to read about their gratitude and the life that they each led.  And I'm especially grateful for the red geraniums that sat on Grandma's window sill.  All these things increase the gratitude in my heart and mind.  I am so blessed.  I challenge you to find an ancestor's story and read about them to become more grateful. I know you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment