Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Becoming Grateful Day 26: Look at the Stars & Moon


When I was a kid, I was in love with the night sky.  I have always been fascinated by the vastness the sky has to offer.  You can look in one spot and see so much.  Even the darkest spot of the night sky is filled with millions of stars and galaxies.  So, today's idea is actually for tonight (or any night).  Go look at the stars and moon and ponder your gratitude for these things.  Pull out your Gratitude Journal and write about it.

Here's a great little video that gives ideas on how to help children enjoy star gazing.



If you want to have a great look at stars, try to get away from city lights as much as possible.  It's a benefit that the sun sets fairly early (in the Northern Hemisphere right now at least) which means you don't have to stay up extra late to see the stars.  Also, looking at stars is best if it's not the night of a full moon.  The light of the moon acts much like city lights.  Here's a website that can tell you what the phase of the moon for your location: http://www.almanac.com/moon


But then again, you might want to look at the moon.  The link above will tell you the best time to look at the moon is.  One of my favorite movies is Apollo 13 starring Tom Hanks.  At the beginning of the show everyone is gathered around the TV to witness Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walk on the moon.  Later Jim Lovell (played by Hanks) goes outside and stares up at the moon.  I love the part where he raises his thumb up and tries to cover up the Sea of Tranquility,right where Apollo 11 landed.  I think I love it so much because it's a peaceful moment of pondering amazing things--the universe, the moon, the fact that man stood on it, and as you can imagine for Jim Lovell who was a part of the Apollo program, his own potential.  I don't know if Jim Lovell ever actually did the something like that scene, but I think it's well done in the movie.  Especially because he does it later while on Apollo 13 as he accepts he's not going to moon afterall.  (Seriously, I love this movie).


But I find so much to be grateful for when I look at the night sky.  It's beautiful and reminds  me of my potential.

Enjoy and be grateful as you do!

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. This makes me want to watch Apollo 13! The first time our family watched that movie I missed the first few minutes getting a snack and no one would let me rewind it. They kept saying I didn't miss much - well I missed that scene Sarah was talking about. So I refused to watch the show without seeing the very, very beginning and pouted in my room until it was over. I had to watch it by myself the next day:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry...I did not know and can't even remember watching the show as a family. Was I there or off on some other planet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the things we remember. I don;t remember such a family event. I do remember going to see it in theaters because it was my first official PG-13 with no parents. I felt really grown up.

    ReplyDelete