Sunday, November 24, 2013

Becoming Grateful Day 24: Spend Time With Someone You're Grateful For

Wait, didn't we just do this one yesterday?  Nope!  This one is almost the same, but also completely different.  Yesterday we talked about spending time with a grateful person. Instead, today's suggestion is to spend time with someone you are grateful FOR.

Who are people you are grateful for?  Your spouse? Your dad or mom?  Your children?  Your best friend?  A sister or brother?  What about a cousin or a college roommate?

Hopefully you get to be with the people you are grateful for more often than not, but if you're like me, many of your family and friends don't live near by.  In this case, go skype, hangout, or facetime with them!

Right now our Auntie is visiting our Mom for Thanksgiving.  Even though we won't be there, I did get to video with them earlier this week, and we'll probably do some more this week.  As I was thinking about writing this post and how grateful I am for my family, I was reminded of another visit by my Auntie.

It's been about 20 years, but when we were little kiddies my Auntie came to visit during the summer.  She is so creative and has a funny sense of humor.  She was also an elementary school teacher so she knows how to interact with children and for us, she could make us laugh.

Well, in the summertime we liked to eat hot dogs.  (Who am I kidding?  We eat hot dogs all year round...including today.)  So while Auntie was visiting she made up a funny song while we ate hot dogs.  It goes something like this.

Thank you for my hot dog, my hot dog, my hot dog,
Thank you for my hot dog, my hot dog, my hot dog.

Thank you for my bun, my bun, my bun,
Thank you for my bun, my bun, my bun.

Thank you for the ketchup, the ketchup, the ketchup.
Thank you for the ketchup, the ketchup, the ketchup.

Thank you for the relish, the relish, the relish.
Thank you for the relish, the relish, the relish.

Thank you for the mustard, the mustard, the mustard.
Thank you for the mustard, the mustard, the mustard.

Thank you for my Auntie, my Auntie, my Auntie.
Thank you for my Auntie, who wrote this song!

I don't like ketchup and actually eat my hot dogs plain for the most part, but I'm definitely thankful for my Auntie!!!  I"m so glad she can visit with our family and that they'll get to the Thanksgiving holiday together.

Today I am spending time with my husband and three kids--on purpose.  I'm not just spending time with them because that's what I normally do.  I'm spending time with them today because I'm thankful for them.  And I'll make sure to tell them that throughout the day.

I'm thankful my son says to me "It's okay, Mom.  Don't worry, I will take care of it." when I ask him to clean up his toys.  I'm thankful my husband accepts that I'm not an amazing cook, but that we come up dinner somehow most days.  I'm thankful my baby laughs his head off when we tickle his collar bone.  His laughter is completely infectious!  I'm thankful for my daughter who gives me adorable scowling faces when I ask her if she wants her hair done, and then is so excited that I do it.  I'm thankful to a loving Heavenly Father who loves me enough to let me have such a beautiful family, and for all the family and friends in my life who bless me just because.

Think of someone you are grateful for, and make a plan to spend time with them.  Tell them about your plan and tell them why you are grateful for them.  It will uplift you and you'll love it!

1 comment:

  1. lalalalal fun post, lalalalalal just singing away......

    ReplyDelete