Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Becoming Grateful Day 5: Go to a Holy Place

I think this is one of my favorite was to feel gratitude--going to a Holy Place.  When we say this, we don't mean just any place that's considered holy to someone else.  We mean, go to a place that YOU consider holy.  Your holy places may be different than my holy places and that's good.  Here's a few of my favorite holy places.  I hope it helps you think of your favorite holy places and the gratitude that you feel when you are there.


"Stand ye in Holy Places, and be not moved..."
Doctrine and Covenants 87:8

One definition of 'holy' is dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred.

A sancutuary or religious building may be holy to you.  What comes to my mind about these places is the people associated to them and why they are there.  People often go to holy places to serve others.  They give time, money, prayers, fasting and meditation in hopes of helping someone else.  They serve with love.  They are grateful to be there and are seeking more of the divine blessings they believe in.  Don't you think that's cool?  I do!

Latter-Day Saint Temples are holy to me and other Mormons.  On the outside of each temple are the words "Holiness to the Lord."  When I go to the temple, I feel closer to God and understanding His purposes for me.  I gain insight and clarity.  I feel like I have a clearer and more sure perspective in my life and for my family.  I always leave feeling more gratitude than when I arrived.  When you are in a holy place and feel blessed, you also become more grateful.




What about other holy places?  James E Faust said "In addition to temples, surely another holy place on earth ought to be our homes..."  For me, this is one that's definitely in the 'becoming' not 'arrived' phase.  Our home is a place to give the most, love the most, serve the most, thank the most.  In our homes we can definitely feel gratitude if we remember that our homes are holy places.

Some other places that are holy to me are specific places in nature.  I love being on the tops of mountains, or on the porch of my aunt and uncle's cabin overlooking the grassy meadow and shallow river.  I absolutely the way I feel when I'm out in the middle of no where staring up at a star filled sky.  I get overwhelmed with awesomeness that the millions of stars and little lights I see are just a tiny speck of the galaxies, stars and planets that sit in the 'dark spaces.'  I often fall silent when I look at the stars because I become overwhelmed with gratitude that I am a part of God's creations and that there is soooo much to it.





Another holy place to me is not so much a specific place but rather a moment.  It's when I find myself alone in deep and humble prayer to God.  Mine come when it's in my deepest time of need--emotionally, physically or mentally.  I don't necessarily realize that need when I begin to pray, but that moment becomes holy when I recognize why I'm praying the way I am and the communication with God that I experience.  I'm not actually going to share any specific stories here, because those holy moments are special to me for reasons that are just for me.  However, I like to think of a holy moment I had several years ago.  I revisit it in my mind often.  The feelings I felt then resurface and remind me of that moment and I really want to keep feeling that way.  It moves me to be a better person and I am so grateful that I can recall it.  


When we are in a holy place, we remember God's holiness.  We understand His Purposes for us and how to live to our potential. Gratitude and holy go hand in hand.  I bet you have similar holy moments.  Think back on them....are you grateful for them?  When was the last time you found yourself in that holy place?  


Sing unto the Lord, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness. Psalms 30:4

No comments:

Post a Comment