Friday, November 8, 2013

Becoming Grateful Day 8: Reflect in Nature

Today it's nice and sunny outside.  The weather is still warm-ish, but it's starting to feel cooler each day.  It's a great November day.

Do you ever stop and just feel the sun on your face and skin?  Just let the rays absorb into you?  That's what I feel like doing on days like this.  Whether it's for a long time, just a few minutes or while just little slower from the grocery store to the car, stop and absorb nature. And while you soak it in, think about it.  I bet you can't do it without feeling a tinge bit grateful for it.

Now some of you might be thinking "That's nice. You have a sunny day to enjoy.  I'm stuck in snow." or "It's a howling windstorm out there. I'm not going out."

As long as it's safe to go outside, just try it.  Enjoy a few minutes of nature and think of how blessed we are to have it.  We live in a an amazing world.  I think the creation of animals and rocks and plants is soooo creative and interesting.  Ever just wonder "How did a giraffe come to be a giraffe, and a bird, a bird?"  I do things like that, and I realize I'm amazed and awed and grateful.

When I stand in nature and think about nature, I can't help but feel grateful.  And the amazing thing about our world is there is soooo much in it that you can't ever think of everything, so the possibilities of what you can be grateful for just grow.

Take your kids outside on this one and let them explore.  Ask them what they are grateful for.  Watch their excitement and simple joy.  You might find you're grateful for more than nature in this adventure.

Pull out that journal you're writing ideas in and write a few things down to reflect on.  Save it for a 'rainy day' when you don't feel like going outside.  Even when we can just think or read about gratitude, it motivates us to do and thereby BECOME.

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment